1921-D VAM-1A2 TRU_T filled die
Discovered by Hal Justice, December 1968 This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM.
1A2 IV 1 D2a (Trut, Pierced Tail Feather Die Scratch) (189)
Reverse D2a - Die fill in s of Trust to form Tru_t.
DPIS – In 1921 dates were part of the master die so there is no variation in position.
- Emission Sequence
- Formerly VAM-1A. Connected to the former VAM-1AB by John Kohut December 2004.
- Made popular by one of the leading VAM reference books, The Top 100 Morgan Dollar varieties: The VAM Keys, by Michael S. Fey, Ph.D. and Jeff Oxman, VAM-1A coins are among the most widely known of all 1921-D die varieties. This particular coin can be easily recognized with the naked eye as the S in Trust is completely missing on the reverse. A small amount of grease, used to lubricate the coining press, filled the letter on the die. When coins were struck with the greasy die, metal could not flow into the letter.
- In 2004 it was finally noticed that there is a die gouge through the Eagle's tailfeathers and the VAM is now called VAM-1A2 rather than just VAM-1A. Coins without the filled S of TRUST are VAM-1A1.
- Unlike many of the die breaks and die gouges documented for 1921-D coins, the die fill happened early in the life of this die. The dies were fresh since the coins exhibit prooflike reflective qualities, a trait uncommon on most 1921-Ds.
- Before buying any TPG-attributed "TRU_T" coin, collectors are strongly urged to do due diligence and verify that the coin is in fact a TRU_T. Multiple attributed examples have been seen where the S in a leading company's holders are far, far from missing, and another example has been documented that isn't remotely close to being a TRU_T; the T and R are weak, but UST is bold and complete.
LVA Plate Photos:
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin Copyrighted© VAM-1A2 Images on loan to VAMworld courtesy ©[Heritage Auctions] ATTRIBUTED BY Ron Hagler
August 2008 AU50 PCGS 349.99 eBay "store item" Buy It Now