1888-O VAM-4 Doubled Head
Discovered by Francis Klaes, June 1963.
This coin is a Top 100 and a WOW! Morgan VAM.
4 III2 3 C3a (Doubled Head) (181)
Obverse III2 3 - Doubled Liberty head variety with two complete sets of lips, chin and nose clearly visible. Hair is filled and also lower parts of ERT in LIBERTY. The wheat and cotton leaves above LIBERTY are doubled strongly to the right.
Reverse C3a - Centered circular medium III O mint mark with wide opening, centered and upright.
- Emission Sequence
- 1888-O VAM-4 "Hot lips". Exciting doubled die with two clearly defined set of lips, chins and noses. A faint second eyelid can also be seen. Very hard to find in high grade AU & ultra rare in MS.
- Consumer advisory: Hot Lips is desirable and collectible, but it is not super rare in lower circulated grades.
- One of the more interesting VAM projects ever undertaken is Ash Harrison's grading set of Hot Lips. He has examples in every grade from PO1 through MS61! It was a truly impressive sight when he showed them at a Society of Silver Dollar Collectors meeting!
- LDS specimens show minor rim cuds around perimeter of coin; multiple submittals for a new listing were declined by LVA.
- Additional photos of a couple of really cool V4 low balls.
LVA Plate Photos:
Full Coin Photo
Ex: Leroy Van Allen 1888-O VAM-4 PCGS MS60DMPL, [Heritage Sale $25,300 Leroy Van Allen Sale April, 2008]
LDS Specimens from Comment # 3 above. Presented by DCarr
1888-O VAM-4 PCGS PO1 Private treaty, traded a PCGS AU50 VAM-4 for the coin!
1888-O VAM-4 PCGS PO1 Traded for 1878-P VAM 39 NGC MS62