1878-P VAM-232 Doubled Left Stars, Doubled Left Reverse
Discovered by Leroy Van Allen, February 2000. Revised 2010.
232 (revised) III2 3 • C3b (Doubled Left Stars, Doubled Left Reverse) (193)
Obverse III2 3- Left stars slightly doubled towards rim, right stars sextupled towards rim, tops of E PLURIBUS UNUM slightly doubled towards rim with both U's of PLURIBUS doubled at bottom inside. Top of cap and right edge of top wheat leaf slightly doubled. Tiny raised dot at back of cheek below ear on some specimens.
Reverse C3b- Same hub doubling but different die.
DPIS – In 1878 dates were part of the master die so there is no variation in position.
- Emission Sequence
- This is the only combination of a III2 obverse and C3b reverse.
- A fast pick-up-point is a small die chip between the lower ear and jaw line.
- This VAM has a reverse die scratch that is almost like VAMs 1878-P VAM-227-1 & 1878-P VAM-228B (not on all examples).
- There is a diagonal die scratch from top of right end of olive branch.
- Finest specimen PCGS 66PL from Jack Lee sale 8/8/13 in Heritage archive
LVA Plate Photos
Full Coin Photos
Full Coin VAM 232 Images ©Heritage Auctions, used with permission. Attributed by ANACS